As a fan of football and a player of fantasy football, there is no doubt that you have heard of Lionel Messi. The Argentine forward, who has spent the majority of his career with Barcelona, is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time. His skill and goalscoring ability are unparalleled, & he has a long list of impressive strikes to his name and also rocked the fantasy apps & online fantasy games. In this article, we will take a look at some of the top goals scored by Messi in football.
- One of Messi’s finest goals came during a La Liga match against Getafe in 2007. In this match, Messi displayed incredible footwork and skill, dancing past five Getafe defenders before calmly finishing with a right-foot shot. This goal was widely considered to be one of the best of all time and helped to establish Messi as a constant threat in the world and European football.
- Another memorable goal was scored by Messi in his first match for Barcelona, at the age of just 17. Despite having his first goal incorrectly declared offside, Messi didn’t let that confidence get the better of him. A minute later, he grabbed onto Ronaldinho’s pass inside the area and volleyed the ball from 16 yards over the top of Albacete goalkeeper Raul Valbuena. This goal was not only a memorable one for its importance, but it also served as a hint of the wonderful things to come in Messi’s career.
- In 2019, Messi scored a spectacular lob against Real Betis that was nominated for a Puskas Award. The award, named after Ferenc Puskás, is given to the player who scores the “most beautiful” goal of the year. This particular goal, which concluded a hat-trick for Messi, was certainly worthy of the nomination.
- Messi received another Puskas Award nomination in 2011 for his outstanding scoop and finish against Arsenal. This goal, which will live long in the memory of football fans, saw Messi come to the rescue for Barcelona, who were down 2-1 after the first leg of their round of 16 matches against the Gunners. Messi scored twice in the match, but it was the goal where he lifted the ball over Manuel Almunia’s head in the six-yard box that truly stood out.
- In 2010, Messi demonstrated all of his greatest abilities and methods in one amazing, all-encompassing single effort with his goal against Real Zaragoza. He was in a league of his own after picking up the ball from a tackle on the halfway line, eluding several defenders, streaking into the box, and reducing another defender to nothing more than a writhing mess on the ground before blasting the ball into the left corner, leaving his teammates ecstatic and awestruck.
- During his time with PSG, Messi scored a brilliant goal against Lens in April 2022. In this match, Neymar found Messi near the outside of the box with plenty of space, and Messi expertly dipped the ball into the top corner while looking up. This was a classic Messi goal and served as a reminder of his talent, despite facing criticism from some supporters.
- Finally, we cannot talk about Messi’s top goals without mentioning his hat trick in a thrilling El Clasico match against Real Madrid in 2007. In this match, Messi scored a dramatic equalizer in the final moments, securing a point for Barcelona after Real Madrid appeared to have won with a goal from Sergio Ramos just 15 seconds before. Messi’s late goal was a testament to his determination and ability to deliver under pressure.
In addition to his impressive goals, Messi is also known for his dribbling skills and ability to maintain possession.